Monday, April 21, 2008

Forgiveness and Repentance


We begin with a portion of a psalm about forgiveness and repentance.
"Create in me a clean heart,O God,and renew a stedfast Spirit within me.
Cast me not away from thy presence; and take not thy Holy Spirit from me.
Restore unto me the joy of thy salvation; and uphold me with thy free Spirit.
Then will I teach transgressors thy ways; and sinners shall be converted unto thee."
(Psalm 51,verses ten through thirteen).
Psalm 51 is a psalm of repentance written by David after his disastrous affair with Bathsheba.
Some people believe asking for forgiveness and repentance are synonymous, in reality, forgiveness is only a part of repentance.Repentance is more than simply seeking forgiveness,it is a changing of one's mind,heart and life away from sin to God.You totally embrace the person and work of Jesus.
Those who are seeking repentance or a strengthening of their committment to Our Lord,would gain much in studying and praying all of Psalm 51.

No comments: